• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

TOOTHACHE Please Help!

That-Strange-Guy

Bluelighter
Okay so I don't have dental coverage at my current place of employment and don't have the pocket change to get this tooth pulled.

It started with one tooth but I can no longer tell where the pain is coming from. My jaw is almost swollen shut, my teeth can't even touch together as the swelling is touching my upper row of teeth when my mouth is partially open. I have been eating liquids and anything I don't have to chew for the past five days and have recently ran out of drugs to kill the pain. Also I have a massive migraine and no headache meds are effective after eating a whole bottle in the past few days and the swelling has caused my left gland to swell the size of a tangerine, making it extremely difficult to swallow even water.

I have a very high tolerance for pain so I ignored this forever now and it has finally become too much to bare. Please respond with any tips or suggestions.

Oh yeah I also tried just about everything to pull the tooth out myself. I can't reach it as it is a wisdom tooth, and now I can't open my mouth wide enough to see inside anymore.

Thank you in advance <3

I'll try the garlic tomorrow... because the grocery store JUST closed :(

I have been taking 800 mg of Ibuprofen (3x daily) for the past five days and now it's not working and i'm sure it's not healthy to take a higher dose.

Knock on your neighbours' door; they'll likely have some and more than likely will gladly give you some. If they don't have garlic (I doubt it), ask if they have some hydrogen peroxide. You can swish the peroxide in your mouth, tilting it mostly towards the infected area. Peroxide will kill any bacteria immediately in the mouth cavity, right down to the deep pockets between teeth and gums. It won't penetrate the gum line, though. Garlic, or the juices from the garlic, *will* penetrate and go right to the abscess and to the infection. The best plan of attack is actually as follows.

- swish for 2-3 minutes with a 50/50 solution of the regular household solution (3% ) peroxide and water. This kills all mouth bacteria on contact.

- chop up one whole clove of garlic and eat it. I like garlic, so I can eat it as is, or with a small piece of bread. If you don't like garlic, you can mince or chop it up finely, put it in a large enough spoon, add oil, juice, or liquid of preference to cover, then down the concoction in one gulp. This will act as a general antibiotic to immediately start killing the infection from within.

- slice a clove of garlic in half. Take one half, lay it cut side down on a flat surface and crush it (lay on flat surface and press down with flat side of knife blade, or bottom of glass). Place the crushed half, cut side down, on the outer side, between the teeth and cheek, on the area of the gum where the soreness and swelling first appeared. This will likely burn, especially since the tissue has been stretched and rendered more tender, raw, susceptible. Try to keep it there for as long as you can. If the burn is so bad that you can only tolerate a few seconds, just take the garlic out, rest a bit and then put it back and try again for longer. Your body will get used to it and you will eventually be able to hold it there for 10-15 minutes.

If you brush your teeth (I'm not sure if you have been, with all the pain), repeat the above routine as the last thing you do before bed, i.e. after the brushing. You want the garlic to be the last thing in your mouth and in your body for the night. If you can't brush your teeth, because of the pain, then the above routine will at least hold you over until the pain and swelling subside enough to make brushing bearable again. By not brushing - and if the area is so sore, I doubt you'd be brushing that area properly anyway - the regular, every day bacteria is allowed to flourish. This overrun of bad bacteria kills off the beneficial bacteria in your mouth. On top of that, the bacteria from the infection joins the party and, before you know it, that wild party spreads outward into the rest of your body.

If you went to either a dentist, family doctor or emergency, they would all immediately give you one and the same treatment right now - an antibiotic. With garlic, you're essentially doing the same. Eating a clove raw is like swallowing an antibiotic pill and applying it topically is like applying an antibiotic plus anti-inflammatory ointment.

Get to know your neighbours, people!

I have half a bottle of erythromycin (STRONG antibiotic) left over from when I had pneumonia. I was thinking of taking this but my body can only stomach it when I eat it with a meal, and since I haven't gotten a solid meal into me lately I don't think I could keep the pills down.

And it's 11:30 at night, I live in an apartment so I don't know my neighbors but I do know they have children that I don't want to disturb. I'll just rough it out till the morning and get some garlic when the market opens, then debate going to the ER and waiting at least 8-12 hours in a waiting room to see a doctor...... (I know this because I waited 7 hours to get my eyelid stitched back into place and 9 more down the side of my face after a dog attacked me.)

Fucking Canadian Health Care Systems....

Between garlic, mouthwash, peroxide, warm water, salt, and vanilla extract and a cotton ball I can't feel a damn thing and was able to eat a meal and take some erythromycin. It took a few hours for the antibiotic to do it's job but it took down the swelling completely!

I am gonna have to rough it out the way I am now till next pay day and then run to a dentist. Thanks for the tips guys! =D

This sounds like an infected wisdom tooth...it really needs to be pulled, honestly. I just had a tooth pulled, and it was pretty affordable...I would suggest finding a dental clinic, possibly at your local university. Infected wisdom teeth are considered oral surgery, and they'll get you in real quick. I had a third molar pulled, and through my university's dental clinic, it was only $160, compared to $300+ it would have cost at a regular dentist (just novacaine though, most of the extra ridiculous costs with teeth pulling are other sedation...its not necessary, once it's numb it doesn't hurt to pull it). Wisdom teeth may cost slightly more just because they are bigger and usually more problematic to remove.

I've had a lot of dental problems, and I have definitely felt your pain...I hope you get it taken care of quickly, I know how miserable it can be =/ I used a credit card to pay for mine, it's worth it to have a little debt and not be in miserable pain, honestly.

if you still find yourself in need of something else to alleviate the pain, clove oil (eugenol) on a cotton ball pressed against the offending tooth will work as well.

Okay so I don't have dental coverage at my current place of employment and don't have the pocket change to get this tooth pulled.

It started with one tooth but I can no longer tell where the pain is coming from. My jaw is almost swollen shut, my teeth can't even touch together as the swelling is touching my upper row of teeth when my mouth is partially open. I have been eating liquids and anything I don't have to chew for the past five days and have recently ran out of drugs to kill the pain. Also I have a massive migraine and no headache meds are effective after eating a whole bottle in the past few days and the swelling has caused my left gland to swell the size of a tangerine, making it extremely difficult to swallow even water.

I have a very high tolerance for pain so I ignored this forever now and it has finally become too much to bare. Please respond with any tips or suggestions.

Oh yeah I also tried just about everything to pull the tooth out myself. I can't reach it as it is a wisdom tooth, and now I can't open my mouth wide enough to see inside anymore.

Thank you in advance <3

sucks bro,
try checking into local "school of denistry's" around you, im sure that theres some college univ. that would love to pull one of ur teeth lol, they dont charge anything, like $50, (and well, i milked the fuck out of them for some hydrocodone... thats another story lol)
theres tons of places here that pull teeth 4 free, they dont give u any lortab/vicoden etc. for pain, jus some penecilin and ibprophin.
contact ur department of health, DHR or local churchs. hope this helped u, sorry for teh pain man.

edit: have u ever thought about making penicilin? google it.. :)

ditto D,s response - - if you are broke then a teaching dentistry college is where you can cheap out .
with the sort of abscess that you are enduring, you have no choice but to seek care .
your health depends upon getting the infection under control .
if your upper rear teeth are involved then it is a certainty that left unchecked it will migrate into your sinus cavities . - you can't afford to piss about with folksy polices friend .

Thanks again, I had no idea that dentist colleges can do that kind of stuff for cheap. Kinda sucks that they don't give you pain meds afterwords, but a little pain the next day would be a hell of a lot better than what I am living through now.

Thanks again, I had no idea that dentist colleges can do that kind of stuff for cheap. Kinda sucks that they don't give you pain meds afterwords, but a little pain the next day would be a hell of a lot better than what I am living through now.

Well your right and wrong there.
Schools that have a D.D.S/D.M.D program or actual dentist will write you a script for antibiotics and hydrocodone. They also have Nitros(laughting gas) for a extra charge, ask first on how much the cost is for the gas b4 u pay it.

on the other note.
Places such as Health Care places, DHR, etc.. do not give you narcotics for pain, usually people off of the streets go to them or dental help (or people with low incomes). They do just as good as work on you as a private practice/univ would do.
Check into it TSG, I know u will find something. :)

Well I don't really have income problems, this just kind of came at a bad time.... I decided to pay all my bills before dental work (a place to live is a little more important) and plus it seems everyone has been having birthdays these past few weeks so presents and alcohol are playing a factor. But come pay-day I will be good to go, but I would rather get a tooth pulled cheaply than get the same procedure done for multiple times the price....

you might need to go to the ER dude. presents and alcohol?!

your infection could be far worse than you can percieve. youll be lucky if all you lose is a tooth. you may need to have a section, or all, of your jaw removed.

in paleoanthropology, a common cause of death in many ancient fossils of ancient hominids is jaw infections, likely resulting from excess tooth decay or related dental issues. i believe there is even a T-Rex skull with evidence of a similar cause of death.

To echo the above, do not mess around with an infection like this. It can quickly move to your brain and/or heart depending on location, or as rm-rf said, you could literally lose part of your FACE. Yes, I have seen this happen. No, you don't want to walk around talking like the teacher from Charlie Brown for the rest of your life like the guy I know does.

If you have the antibiotics, continue taking them. Just because the swelling went down does not mean the infection is gone. Clove oil will work wonders for your pain, but get into a clinic/ER/dentist NOW.

Well I don't really have income problems, this just kind of came at a bad time.... I decided to pay all my bills before dental work (a place to live is a little more important) and plus it seems everyone has been having birthdays these past few weeks so presents and alcohol are playing a factor. But come pay-day I will be good to go, but I would rather get a tooth pulled cheaply than get the same procedure done for multiple times the price....

Posts like this piss me off and make me wonder how people get such a wacked out sense of priorities. Having a place to live is one thing, is having cable TV and Internet a little more important than your health as well? Apparently gifts and alcohol are. I don't mean to be cruel but damn, this kind of attitude makes me want to stop contributing to "harm reduction" online and just let nature take it's course.

pop infection?

This post helped me today ty all.
I am swollen from an infection and I want to pop it. I'm trying to follow up the infected tooth with a needle. I go through the seam of gum and lip skin to puncture the sac. Swelling is pressure on the right side of my nose/face that is visibly swollen. I have antibiotic and garlic. Should I pop this or can I?
my teeth are embarassing
I don't do drugs and my teeth have been decaying since I was a teenager. Lactose intollerant, dehydration, and that summer I tried drugs as a kid are the neglects I identified.
I am in Seattle, WA and the U.W. wont take me saying, "We have no students that require that extensive training anytime soon" for the last decade.
I never have enough money to buy a car let alone major surgery. I will travel anywhere in the US to get the help I need for my mouth. $3000 is the cheapest I found and I can't make monthly payments. I can pull em $50+ a pop but I'm tired of that already 8 down.